fonds PR/HUN - Parish records of Huntington

Identity area

Reference code



Parish records of Huntington


  • 1590-2008 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.55 cubic metres

34 boxes and 1 roll

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1086-)

Administrative history

The existence of a church at Huntington was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, at which time it belonged to the manor of the Count of Mortain. The advowson was afterwards granted to the Abbey of Evesham and from them to the Abbot of Whitby in 1159-1160. By 1353 it had been appropriated to the See of York and a vicarage was ordained there in 1354. There was also a chapel of St Augustine recorded in the parish in 1333.

The living was augmented in 1768. The church was probably remodelled in the early seventeenth century, and again in 1874, when the nave was completely rebuilt, the chancel was extended and a tower and spire added at the expense of the vicar and John Hoyle, Esq. of Huntington Hall.

The parish has historically included the townships of Earswick and Towthorpe. In 1913 a new Mission Church, now known as St Andrew’s Chapel, was opened to serve the growing population of South Huntington and Joseph Rowntree’s model village at New Earswick. In 1936 parts of the parish separated to join that of York, Holy Trinity, Heworth. A further alteration of boundaries with Heworth took place on the 24th Oct 1961, followed by an alteration of boundaries with Stockton on the Forest on the 23rd Aug 1967.

Today the parish, which includes All Saints parish church and St Andrew’s Church, is part of the benefice of Huntington.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1963 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1971, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1992, 1993, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2015.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1590-1986 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1773-1812); register of marriages, 1590-2008; register of marriages at New Earswick, 1984-1991; register of burials, 1590-1958 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1773-1812, ages only); register of banns, 1840-1952, 1963-1996; register of banns at New Earswick, 1960-1987; register of services, 1903-2002; register of services at St Andrew's, 1913-1970; register of services at New Earswick, 1970-1985; records concerning benefice income, including tithe accounts, 1787-1878 (with gaps), survey of owners and occupiers for tithes, c.1851, tithe papers, 1771, 1873-1937, glebe papers, 1851, 1862, 1907, 1912-1913, and correspondence, 1870-1871; charity records, including accounts, 1813-1891, and papers, 1909, 1966-1980;churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1827-1956, briefs, 1746-1747, 1762, fabric papers, 1784, 1790, 1862-1983, churchyard plan, 19th century, churchyard papers, 1950-1982, photograph of church, n.d., St Andrew's Chapel conveyance, accounts and correspondence relating to construction, 1912-1914, 1935-1939, and St Andrew's fabric papers, 1957-1958; constables’ accounts, 1846-1847; records of incumbents, including curates' licenses, 1817-1970, parsonage house papers, 1807, 1903, 1908, vicarage papers, 1901, 1950-1975, incumbents' papers, including photographs, 1950-1986, and service papers, 1970-1993; overseers’ records, including accounts, 1756, 1846-1848, 1851-1852, settlement certificates, 1742-1790, settlement examinations and removal orders, 1764-1850, bastardy bonds, 1731-1819, bastardy orders, 1786-1833, apprenticeship indentures, 1720-1809, poor rate survey and map, 1827, correspondence, objections and accounts for survey, 1827-1829, and survey alterations, with map, 1829; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including church hall correspondence, 1956-1962, appointment of church organists, 1970-1975, United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel papers, 1970-1973, Christian Commitment Campaign papers, 1972-1975, Concourse Organisation papers, 1972-1976, Foss Amenity Society papers, 1973-1975, Young Wives' Group papers, 1968-1976, Mothers' Union papers, 1971, Guides and Brownies papers, 1971-1974, Old Age Pensioners papers, 1972, flower arrangers papers, 1971-1976, Guild of Bell-ringers papers, 1969-1974, and church choir papers, 1971-1980; school records, including sale of Huntington County School Room Annexe, 1970-1985, Sunday School papers: St Andrew's Sunday School, New Earswick, 1969-1974, and All Saints' Sunday School, Huntington, 1971-1974; surveyors’ records, including accounts, 1846-1847, 1849, and rates papers, 1846, 1851; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1827-1900, 1946-1974, 1987-1997, accounts, 1943-1947, 1952-1954, 1996-2000, enclosure awards, 1768, 1775, census return, 1821, St Andrew's minutes of meetings, 1937-1972, and accounts, 1936, Church Committee minutes of meetings, 1971-1987, cash books, 1934-1969, correspondence and papers, 1936-1982, and parish magazine and associated papers, 1952-1983.


Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2015.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, marriages, and burials, 1590-1885, and banns, 1840-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 711, 1762).

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 22.02.16.




Accession area