- 1674-2016 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.13 cubic metres
Name of creator
The Church of St Nicholas, Husthwaite, dates to the twelfth century. It was granted to Newburgh Priory at an unknown date and was still in their possession at the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century when it passed to the Crown. In 1542 the Crown leased it to John Dawnay and in 1546 it was granted to Trinity College, Cambridge, along with the church of Coxwold and the chapels of Carlton and Over Silton.
The advowson was still in the hands of the college in 1856 when the perpetual curacy of Husthwaite was united with that of Birdforth. In 1864 the advowson was transferred to the Archbishop of York. The living was augmented in 1719-1721 through Queen Anne’s Bounty and the parish church was restored in 1895.
As part of the manor of Husthwaite, the parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebend of Husthwaite until the nineteenth century. The parish includes the township of Carlton Husthwaite. A chapel of ease has existed there since at least the seventeenth century, dedicated to St Mary. It was restored in 1885.
Today Husthwaite is part of the parish of Husthwaite with Carlton and Birdforth within the united benefice of Coxwold and Husthwaite.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material