- 1658-2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.07 cubic metres
5 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
There was a church at Kirby Grindalythe from at least the twelfth century, when it was granted by Walter Espec to the Priory of Kirkham (founded c.1130), although a church is said to have existed there since Saxon times. A vicarage was subsequently ordained there, although the earliest known vicar of the church was instituted in 1305. The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
By 1617 the presentation to the benefice was in private hands, passing from the Towey family to the Osbaldestons in the 1720s and the Lillingstons in the 1770s. By 1842 it was in the hands of Sir Tatton Sykes.
The steeple of the church was damaged in the early eighteenth century and repaired in 1718. The church was in poor repair by the nineteenth century. The c hurch was re-roofed in the 1820s and the entire church was restored in the 1870s by architect George Edmund Street at the expense of Sir Tatton Sykes. It was restored again in the early twenty-first century.
As well as Kirby Grindalythe itself, the parish included Duggleby, High Mowthorpe, Low Mowthorpe and Thirkleby.
Today St Andrew’s Church is one of five within the benefice of Weaverthorpe with Helperthorpe, Luttons Ambo. Wharram le Street, and Kirby Grindalythe.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material