- 1557-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Kirby Underdale from the late eleventh century, when it was given to St Mary’s Abbey, York, by a monk named Hernegrim. The earliest known rector was Walter de Gaugy in 1229-1230. The church is unusually situated on the side of a steep hill below the village.
The abbey held the advowson of the church until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown.
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, was restored in 1828 and then again in 1871 by George Edmund Street, at the expense of Charles Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax.
The parish historically included Deepdale, Garrowby, Hanging Grimston, Mill Houses, Painsthorpe and Uncleby.
Today the church is part of the benefice of Garrowby Hill, along with Bishop Wilton, Bugthorpe, Full Sutton and Skirpenbeck.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material