- 1583-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.14 cubic metres
8 boxes, 1 oversize folder and 1 roll
Name of creator
There was a church at Kirkby Wharfe from at least the thirteenth century. The church, which is dedicated to St John the Baptist, was appropriated to the Prebend of Wetwang and a vicarage ordained there in the 1240s. It remained subject to the Peculiar Jurisdiction of Wetwang until the nineteenth century.
The living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1757. The church was restored in 1819, with the addition of new galleries and pews, and again c.1860. It was re-reroofed in the 1950s. There was a vicarage house from at least the 1790s.
In addition to Kirkby Wharfe itself, the parish historically included Ulleskelf, Grimston and North Milford.
Today of the parish is known as Kirkby Wharfe and Ulleskelfe and it is part of the united benefice of Tadcaster, together with Church Fenton, Stutton and Tadcaster.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material