- 1852-2006 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of Kexby was formed from that of Catton on 7 February 1853. The present church of St Paul had been designed by F. C. Penrose and consecrated in 1852, replacing a lost medieval chapel dedicated to St Mary. A parsonage house was also built in the same year.
The patronage of the church was held by Lord Wenlock in 1853 and descended with the manor of Wenlock until 1912 when, on the death of Beilby Lawley, it passed to the Forbes Adam family. The patronage was subsequently held by the Viscounts de Vesci and Baron Egremont.
In 1959 the benefice was united with that of Wilberfoss. St Paul’s church was closed in 2007, although the graveyard continued to be used for burials. Today the parish church of the united benefice is St John the Baptist, Wilberfoss.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material