- 1688-2006 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of Kilnwick Percy, sometimes known as Kildwick Percy, was given to the Dean of York in the reign of Henry II by Robert de Percy, from whom it derives part of its name. The parish remained subject to the Dean’s peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth century. A vicarage was ordained there in 1312.
The parish church of St Helen dates to the twelfth century, although it was rebuilt by architects J. B. and W. Atkinson in 1865. It stands in the parkland of Kilnwick Percy Hall, the village having become depopulated by the early eighteenth century.
The living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1714, 1767 and 1785.
Today the parish is part of Pocklington and Owsthorpe with Kilnwick Percy, one of six churches within the united benefice of Pocklington Wold.
The parish is notable for having had as its vicar Laurence Sterne, who was appointed in 1756, three years before the publication of the first volume of his novel ‘Tristram Shandy’.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material