- 1760-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.03 cubic metres
Name of creator
The earliest church at Knapton is believed to date from the Norman period, although the present building was erected in 1870-1872 by John Gibson & Son of Malton. Traces of the earlier structure survive however in the Norman corbels next to the porch, the fourteenth century treble bell and the Royal Coat of Arms of King Charles II retained by the architects.
The church, which is dedicated to St Edmund, is situated in the parkland of Knapton Hall and was a chapelry within the parish of Wintringham. It was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1742, 1770, 1789 and 1810, and through a Parliamentary Grant in 1828 and 1832. In the nineteenth century the advowson was held by the Tindall family, who were lords of the manor of Knapton.
The church became redundant in the 1970s and was appropriated for community services on the 24th Oct 1978. Today it is open for occasional services and is part of the united benefice of Buckrose Carrs, together with Thorpe Bassett, Rillington, Scampston, Wintringham, Yedingham, East and West Heslerton, and Sherburn.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material