- 1592-2005 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.15 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church and chapel of ease in the parish from at least the twelfth century. The church was at Chapel Hill near Angram, whilst the chapel was at Long Marston.
The church had fallen into disrepair by the end of the fourteenth century and in 1400 parishioners were granted a faculty to take down the old church and use the materials to remodel the chapel at Long Marston into their new parish church, dedicated to All Saints. The church tower was added later in the fifteenth century and the church was restored in 1869.
The parish includes Long Marston, Angram and Hutton Wandesley. Noteworthy rectors of the parish include William Akroyd, who died in 1518 leaving money to found the Ackroyd Exhibition, and Dr Thomas Morton, who was rector from 1598 and later became successively Bishop of Chester, Lichfield and Durham.
Today Long Marston is part of the parish of Marston Moor and the united benefice of North Ainsty, both of which also include Askham Richard, Bilbrough, Rufforth and Tockwith.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material