- 1653-2013 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.15 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Langton is believed to have been recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the identification is not certain.
It was later given by Robert de Stuteville to William de Vescy at the time of William’s marriage to his daughter Burga de Stuteville in the twelfth century. Burga subsequently gave it to the Priory of Malton, who held it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which the advowson passed to the Crown.
The church, which is dedicated to St Andrew, was largely rebuilt in 1822, although it retained features from the earlier building, such as its seventeenth century panelling. Its stained glass windows date from the second half of the nineteenth century and are by J. W. Knowles of York.
Today the parish, which includes the hamlet of Kennythorpe, is part of the benefice of West Buckrose, which also includes. The united parish also includes Acklam, Birdsall, Burythorpe, Leavening, North Grimston, Settrington with Scagglesthorpe, and Westow.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material