- 1539-2011 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.18 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Ledsham before the Norman Conquest. It was given by Robert de Lacy to the Prior and Convent of Pontefract before 1129. The rectory was appropriated to them, and a vicarage ordained there, by Archbishop Walter de Grey. The Priory held the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown and was then sold to Henry Witham, builder of Ledston Hall. The living was augmented in 1721.
The present parish church of All Saints is believed to date to the seventh or eighth century. It was partly rebuilt in the twelfth century and the chancel was replaced in the thirteenth. The north wall was rebuilt, and the north aisle created, in the fifteenth century. The whole building was extensively restored in 1871 by architect Henry Curzon. A vicarage was built by Lady Elizabeth Hastings, who inherited the Ledston estate in the eighteenth century.
The parish includes the chapelry of Fairburn. A chapel, dedicated to St James, was built there in 1846 and there is also a chapel dedicated to St Thomas a Becket at Ledston Hall. An alteration of the boundaries of Ledsham with Kippax and Allerton Bywater occurred in 1976.
Today the parish and benefice are known as Ledsham with Fairburn.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material