- 1580-1992 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Londesborough from at least the early twelfth century when Herbert de Chamberlain granted it to his son, William, who was Archbishop of York between 1141 and 1147. Parts of the present church are believed to date to c.1200, although some features, such an Anglo-Danish cross above the South doorway, may have belonged to an earlier structure.
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, was in the patronage of the Lords Fitzherbert until the fourteenth century, when it passed to the Bromfletes and then, through marriage, to the Cliffords, Earls of Cumberland, and then to the Boyles, Earls of Burlington. By the early nineteenth century the estate and the patronage were held by the Dukes of Devonshire. It was later sold to the Conynghams, Barons Londesborough.
The church tower was added in the fourteenth century and raised in the fifteenth. The church underwent further reconstruction in the seventeenth century, with the addition of the south porch and a 1679 restoration by Lord Burlington. It was restored again in 1873 and then again in 1885 by the architect Temple Moore, who added the new east window and rood screen. New choir stalls were added in 1905 and the tower was re-leaded and the parapet and pinnacles rebuilt in 2003.
Today the church is part of the united benefice of Londesborough Wold, together with Hayton, Burnby and Shiptonthorpe.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material