- 1538-1956 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.08 cubic metres
Name of creator
The present church at Monk Fryston dates largely to the thirteenth century, although the lower portion of the church tower is Anglo-Saxon in origin. It was appropriated to the Prebend of Wistow before 1222 and remained subject to the prebend’s peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth century. The living was augmented in 1815 by parliamentary grant.
The parish church is dedicated to St Wilfrid of Ripon, although surviving wills from the sixteenth century suggest it was originally dedicated to St Mary. It was restored between 1889 and 1891 by architects J. Hall Thorp & Son of Leeds, largely at the expense of the Hemsworth family of Monk Fryston Hall, who also donated the church organ. A church hall was built by George Pace and Ronald Sims and opened in 1970.
The parish includes Burton Salmon and Hillam. In 1985 Monk Fryston was merged with South Milford parish and today it is part of the benefice of Monk Fryston and South Milford.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material