fonds PR/M/M - Parish records of Moor Monkton with Hessay

Identity area

Reference code

PR/M/M

Title

Parish records of Moor Monkton with Hessay

Date(s)

  • 1697-1996 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.12 cubic metres

7 boxes and 1 roll

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 11th century-)

Administrative history

The church at Moor Monkton dates to the late eleventh century. The patronage was held by the Ughtred family from at least the thirteenth century and subsequently passed to the Neville family, Earls of Salisbury in the fifteenth, and then to the Crown by 1507.

The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, was substantially rebuilt in 1638 by Sir Henry Slingsby, adding a brick tower. It was restored in 1879 by architect James Fowler of Louth, although the restoration was said to have stripped out much of the church’s historic furnishings and medieval stained glass. A parsonage house was present from at least 1579. It was rebuilt in 1786 and then replaced entirely in 1850.

The parish historically included Hessay, Cock Hill, Red House, Scagglethorpe and Skipbridge. Today the parish, which still includes the village of Hessay, is part of the benefice of Rural Ainsty, which also includes Bilton, Healaugh, Hessay and Wighill.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1966 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1968, 1983, 1996 and 1997.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1687-1895 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1778-1811); register of marriages, 1687-1977; register of burials, 1687-1995 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1778-1812, ages only 1811-1812); register of services, 1961-1991; register of services at Moor Monkton, 1929-1971; register of confirmations, 1936-1951; register of services at Hessay, 1927-1961; records concerning benefice income, including papers, 1850, 1926; charity correspondence, 1935-1968; churchwardens’ records, including Moor Monkton accounts, 1964-1966, Moor Monkton fabric papers, 1955-1978, Hessay accounts, 1944-1962, accounts, 1819-1853, fabric papers, 1966-1983, and plan of churchyard, n.d; constables’ accounts, 1819-1853; records of incumbents, including suspensions of presentation, 1962, 1965, dilapidations papers, 1939-1959, parsonage house papers, 1947-1962, and statistical returns, 1962, 1966; overseers’ accounts, 1819-1853; school records, including accounts, 1904-1964, correspondence and papers, 1948-1964, deeds, 1916-1917, 1927, registers, 1954-1965, 1970, and Sunday School accounts, 1954-1958; Surveyor of Highways' accounts, 1819-1853; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1894-1996, accounts, 1935-1970, enclosure award and map, 1787, 1831, and a map of William Calvert's estate, Hessay, 1829.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 1997.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Selected records, including registers of baptisms, 1697-1895, marriages, 1697-1900, and burials, 1697-1900, accounts, 1819-1853 and enclosure awards, 1787, 1831, are available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 740, 1753, 1766, 1770).

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 25.02.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area