- 1539-1992 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Marton was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present church dates to the twelfth. The advowson was in the hands of the lords of the manor of Marton until the reign of King Stephen when Bertram de Bulmer granted it to his newly founded Augustinian Priory of Marton. It was subsequently appropriated to them but no vicarage was ordained there.
The priory held the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Archbishops of York. The living was augmented in 1779, 1790 and 1800.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Mary, dates to the early twelfth century. It was largely rebuilt, and a tower added, c.1540. It was restored under the direction of architect Ewan Christian in the 1880s and reopened in 1890.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of the Forest of Galtres, which also includes Farlington, Sheriff Hutton, Stillington and Sutton on the Forest.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material