- 1654-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.32 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of Myton on Swale dates to at least the twelfth century when it was the subject of a dispute between the Treasurer of St Peter’s, York, and the Abbot and convent of St Mary’s, York. The church was subsequently appropriated to St Mary’s Abbey, and a vicarage ordained there, in 1301.
The Abbey held the advowson of the church until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown. In 1545 it was granted to Robert, Archbishop of York and it has been held by the Archbishops since this time.
The present parish church, which is dedicated to St Mary, dates from the thirteenth century, with further additions made in the fifteenth. It is said to have been built using stones from the Roman ruins at nearby Aldborough. The church was restored in 1887-1888 to designs by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Brafferton with Pilmoor, Myton on Swale and Thormanby.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Yorkshire Parish Register Society, 'The parish register of Myton upon Swale. 1654-1812.' Transcribed and edited by Hilary Isaac Robinson (Wakefield, 1956).
Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 'The parish registers of Easingwold, Raskelf, and Myton upon Swale, 1813-1837, with parish register transcripts for Raskelf, 1600-1746/7, and Myton upon Swales, 1598-1639/40.' Transcribed and edited by Norah K. M. Gurney (Leeds, 1983).