- 1632-2007 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.09 cubic metres
8 boxes and 4 rolls
Name of creator
There was a church at Newton Kyme from at least the twelfth century, when the first known incumbent was recorded. The patronage of the church was in the possession of the Barons de Kyme from an early date, from whom the village derives its name, although it was later held by the Talboys, and then by the Fairfax family from 1615.
The present church of St Andrew dates to the twelfth century. It was extended in the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries and the floor and seating was replaced in 1883. The three eighteenth century bells were recast and rehung in 1938.
Today Newton Kyme parish is part of the benefice of Tadcaster, which also includes Church Fenton, Kirkby Wharfe, Stutton and Tadcaster.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material