fonds PR/N/MAL/M - Parish records of New Malton, St Michael

Identity area

Reference code



Parish records of New Malton, St Michael


  • 1570-2010 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.41 cubic metres

27 boxes

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

New Malton St Michael was originally one of two chapels of ease within the parish of Old Malton. It was first mentioned c.1150 when it was given, together with St Leonard’s Chapel, to the Gilbertine Priory of Old Malton. Both chapels were situated in the new settlement built around a mile distant from the village of ‘old’ Malton, which had been burned in 1138, giving them their designation. The parish church at this time was St Mary’s, Old Malton.

The two chapelries were made into separate ecclesiastical parishes in 1855 and the single benefice formed of St Mary’s, St Michael’s and St Leonard’s was also separated into three. In 1928 the benefices of St Michael and St Leonard were united and in 2013 the united benefice was joined with Old Malton to form the new benefice of Malton and New Malton.

St Michael’s Church dates to the twelfth century. It was restored in 1858 and then again in 1883 by George Fowler Jones, when the organ chamber and vestry were created. A new pulpit was installed in 1910 and new choir stalls and Lady Chapel furnishings added in the 1950s by Robert ‘Mouseman’ Thompson of Kilburn. The church porch was added in 1987 and a new altar, designed by Ronald Sims, was installed in 1990.

St Leonard’s Church was gifted to the Roman Catholic Church in 1971, leaving St Michael’s as the sole church of what is today the parish of New Malton within the benefice of Malton and Old Malton.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1965 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1970, 1984, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1997, 1998, and 2010.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1570-1933 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1782-1784); register of marriages, 1570-1974; register of burials, 1570-1850; register of banns, 1823-1859, 1885-1962; register of services, 1897-1983, 1988-1995; other registration material, 1909-1980; papers concerning benefice income, 1754, 1960; charity records, including accounts, 1925-1937, 1944-1957, correspondence, 1891-1907, and papers, 1966; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1853-1935, 1949-1956, fabric papers, 1657-1686, 1738, 1740, 1762, 1873-1986, briefs, 1680-1683, and minutes, accounts and papers relating to restoration, 1857, 1881-1893; records of incumbents, including vicar's annual reports to the Parochial Church Council, 1955-1957, Christian Giving Campaign papers, 1964, papers regarding separation of Malton parishes, 1928, dilapidations papers, 1950-1971, service papers, 1953, papers relating to William Carter, vicar 1838-1855 and D B Barclay, vicar 1904-1911; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including parish hall accounts, 1937-1942, Mission fund cash accounts, 1935-1957, Mission fund receipts, 1949-1956, Church Rooms' accounts, 1959-1988, and signatures of members of societies, 1911; school records, including Girls' School Committee minutes of meetings, 1844-1856, accounts, 1818-1855, and rules, 1821, and National School managers' minutes of meetings, 1882-1903, accounts, 1843, and papers, 1843, 1858, 1905, 1910; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1853-1988, 1995, accounts, 1956-1988, Mission fund accounts, 1949-1956, magazines, 1917-1920, 1923-1927, 1936-1937, 1945, 1951-1977, vicar's annual reports, 1964-1989, lists of personnel, 1982-1986, miscellaneous financial papers, 1966-1968, property papers, 1970, and correspondence, 1981; photographs of church, n.d.


Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2010.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1570-1885, marriages, 1570-1885, burials, 1570-1850, and banns, 1823-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 728-729, 1762).

Related units of description

The records of New Malton, St Leonard parish and the architectural records of Brierley Groom are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute.

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 26.02.16.




Accession area