- 1653- 2012 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.3 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Newton on Ouse from at least the eleventh century. In 1089 it was given by Ralph Paynel to the priory of Holy Trinity, York. The priory subsequently quitclaimed their rights to William de Place who granted the church to St Leonard’s Hospital. It was appropriated to the hospital in 1314 and a vicarage was later ordained there.
St Leonard’s held the rectory and advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time they were granted to John Banester and descended with ownership of nearby Beningbrough. By the nineteenth century it was held by the Dawney family, Viscounts Downe, of Beningbrough Hall. The living was augmented in 1819 by parliamentary grant.
The earliest parts of the present parish church date to the twelfth century but the church was largely rebuilt in 1839 by William Dawney, 6th Viscount Downe, and University College, Oxford, and then rebuilt again in 1849 by architect George Townsend Andrews for the Hon. Lydia Dawney. A reredos was installed in 1892, carved by Temple Moore. The church is dedicated to All Saints.
Although the parish lies within the Diocese of York, the lords of the manor of Newton on Ouse with Beningbrough held peculiar jurisdiction there to grant probate until the nineteenth century.
The parish includes Beningbrough and Linton on Ouse. There was a chapel at Linton on Ouse in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, believed to have been a domestic chapel to Lord Roos of Hamlak, although no trace of it now remains..
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Skelton with Shipton and Newton on Ouse.