- 1558-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.4 cubic metres
25 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Norton on Derwent was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. At this time the church was situated close to the river and was dedicated to St Nicholas, a patron saint of fords and bridges.
It was given to Malton Priory by Roger de Flamville c.1150-1169, and subsequently appropriated to them, although no vicarage was ordained there. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century it passed into lay hands until 1879 when the advowson was purchased by the parishioners and presented to the Archbishop of York. The living was augmented in 1743 and 1767, and then in 1811, 1816 and 1826 by parliamentary grant.
The medieval church was replaced in 1816, although its twelfth century font was retained. The present parish church was built in 1889-1891 to a design by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler and on a site given by Mr Wyse of Auburn Hill. It was dedicated to St Peter the Apostle. The 1816 church was demolished in 1900. There is a church house, built in 1937 and temporarily requisitioned by the army the following year.
Historically the parish included Sutton, Welham and Whitewall Corner. Today the parish, which still includes the hamlet of Welham, is known as Norton-juxta-Malton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material