- 1586-2005 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The present church of Nunburnholme dates to the twelfth century. It belonged to the Priory of Warter, who in 1268 granted its advowson to Walter Grey, Archbishop of York. The church remained in the patronage of the Archbishops of York from that date. The village was also the site of a Benedictine priory of nuns, from whence it derives its name.
The parish church has been dedicated to St James since at least the eighteenth century, but may have been previously dedicated to All Saints. A Nunburnholme will of 1536 makes reference to the ‘churchyard of All Hallowes, Burnham.’ The church was extensively renovated in 1872-1873 by George Gilbert Scott, with the interior replaced entirely. It was restored again c.1902 by the architect Temple Moore, who rebuilt the west tower on the foundations of the original Norman structure.
Historically the parish included the chapelry of Thorpe-le-Street, but this separated from Nunburnholme in June 1876 to form the parish of Shiptonthorpe.
Today the parish of Nunburnholme and Warter is part of the benefice of Pocklington Wold, which also includes Great Givendale, Huggate, Millington and Pocklington.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material