- 1606-2011 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.42 cubic metres
26 boxes and 5 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Old Malton was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It was given by Eustace Fitzjohn, to the Gilbertine Priory he had founded at Old Malton and the gift was confirmed by the Pope in 1253.
It served as the priory church until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it was granted to Robert Holgate, Bishop of Llandaff. Holgate subsequently became Archbishop of York and the church and advowson descended with the Archbishops until 1728 when the patronage was exchanged with Lord Malton and descended with the manor to the Earls Fitzwilliam, whilst the rectory remained with the Archbishop.
The present church, which is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, dates to the eleventh century. It originally had a central tower but this was demolished in 1636 after it became unsafe. Parts of the building had become ruinous by the eighteenth century but it was not until 1887 that a major restoration took place under the architect Temple Moore.
The parish historically included the settlement of ‘New’ Malton that had been built about a mile distant from the old village (which was damaged by fire in 1138). From at least c.1150 this included two chapels of ease, St Michael’s and St Leonard’s. Both separated from Old Malton to form new ecclesiastical parishes in 1855 although the benefices were reunited in 2013.
Today the parish of Old Malton is part of the benefice of Malton and New Malton, which also includes New Malton St Michael, New Malton St Leonard having closed in 1969.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material