- 1600-1971 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.14 cubic metres
Name of creator
New Malton St Leonard was originally one of two chapels of ease within the parish of Old Malton. It was first mentioned c.1150 when it was given, together with St Michael’s Chapel, to the Gilbertine Priory of Old Malton. Both chapels were situated in the new settlement built around a mile distant from the village of ‘old’ Malton, which had been burned in 1138, giving them their designation. The parish church at this time was St Mary’s, Old Malton.
The two chapelries were made into separate ecclesiastical parishes in 1855 and the single benefice formed of St Mary’s, St Michael’s and St Leonard’s was also separated into three. In 1928 the benefices of St Michael and St Leonard were united and in 2013 the united benefice was joined with Old Malton to form the new benefice of Malton and New Malton.
St Leonard’s Church dates to the twelfth century. The tower was built in the fifteenth century and originally had a stone spire, although this was later replaced by one made of timber and slate. The church was restored in 1907 by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler, at which time the south walls of the nave and chancel were entirely rebuilt and the windows replaced.
St Leonard’s was closed in 1969 and gifted to the Roman Catholic Church in 1971 as a gesture of ecumenical goodwill. It is now known as the Roman Catholic Church of St Leonard and St Mary. Today the area that formerly made up the parish of New Malton St Leonard is known simply as the parish of New Malton within the benefice of Malton and Old Malton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material