fonds PR/POCK - Parish records of Pocklington

Identity area

Reference code

PR/POCK

Title

Parish records of Pocklington

Date(s)

  • 1599-2018 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.52 cubic metres

29 boxes and 1 roll

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1086-)

Administrative history

The existence of a church at Pocklington was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It was given by Henry I to the Archbishop and Deans of York and remained subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York until the nineteenth century.

Until the thirteenth century Pocklington acted as ‘mother church’ to a large area which included Yapham, Meltonby, Ousethorpe, Allerthorpe, Waplington, Barmby Moor, Bolton, Fangfoss, Spittle, Great and Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Hayton, Bielby, Millington, Thornton, Melbourne and Storwood, many of which had their own chapels or churches. In 1252 this area was divided into a number of smaller parochial units with the ordination of five new vicarages, including one at Pocklington.

The present parish church is dedicated to All Saints and is known locally as the ‘Cathedral of the Wolds.’ It dates to the twelfth century, with the church tower added in the fifteenth. The church was repaired in 1852 and 1885 and then restored in 1901-1902 by architect John Bilson. An oak pulpit was added by Temple Moore. The churchyard was closed for burials in the nineteenth century.

Today Pocklington parish, which includes Owsthorpe and Kilnwick Percy, is part of the combined benefices of Pocklington Wold, which also includes Great Givendale, Huggate, Millington and Nunburnholme. An exchange of parts of the parish with Barmby Moor took place in 1960. Since 2006 the vicar of Pocklington has also been licensed as priest in charge of the nearby parishes of Londesborough, Nunburnholme, Hayton, Burnby, Shiptonthorpe and Huggate which made up the Londesborough Wold benefice. The churches of the Pocklington Wold and Londesborough Wold benefices are together known as the Pocklington Group.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1979. Further additions were made to the archive in 1982, 1983, 1988, 2002, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2018.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1559-2009 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1779-1812); register of marriages, 1559-1991; register of burials, 1559-1897, 1901-1921, 1941-1998 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1779-1812); register of banns, 1781-1812, 1869-1990, 1992-2002; register of services, 1868-1870, 1887-2008; register of confirmations, 1878, 1880, 1882, 1884, 1887, 1889-1890, 1892-1893, 1943-1961; records concerning benefice income, including deeds, 1676-1672, 1840, 1843, and correspondence and papers, 1810, 1898-1906, 1913, 1921, 1932; charity records, including papers relating to the charity of Mrs Easter Sophia Critchley, n.d, and accounts, 1904-1905, 1908, 1940-2006; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1816-1871, 1876-1878, minutes of meetings of restoration committee, 1899-1917, papers and accounts relating to church restoration, 1892-1917, minutes, correspondence and papers relating to "Restore and Reveal: All Saints Heritage Appeal Fund", 2004-2008, fabric papers, 1901, 1905-1971, 1991-1997, 2003-2013, and churchyard papers, 1772-1889, 1928, 1936, 1973-1992, 2002; records of incumbents, including benefice papers, 1947, papers relating to Pocklington Vicarage, 1960-1967, and press cuttings, photographs and letters, 2009-2018.; overseers’ records, including surveys and valuations of Pocklington, 1838, 1854; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including programmes for musical evenings, 1824, 1826, Church Hall Committee minutes of meetings, 1950-1967, and Church Hall Committee papers, 1947-1957; school records, including accounts, 1899-1901, papers, 1898-1965, map, 1927, and a photo of children and teachers, 1876; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings and correspondence, 1925-1989, 2003-2011, secretary’s papers, 1957-1993, electoral papers, 1950, accounts, 1920-1928, magazines, 1879-1886, 1930-1932, 1949-1957, 1959-1961, 'From the Vicarage' printed newsletter (extracted from Parish Magazine), 2009-2018; and a map of property to be sold at Burnby Hall, 1927; history of All Saints Church, 2002; map of the parish of Yapham cum Meltonby; photographs of interior and exterior of the church, and church objects, 20th century.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2018.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, marriages and burials, 1559-1885, and banns, 1869-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 750-752, 1762).

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 02.03.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area