- 1747-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.16 cubic metres
13 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
Raskelf was originally a chapelry within the parish of Easingwold. It was granted, together with Easingwold, to the Archdeaconry of Richmond in the thirteenth century before passing to the Bishop of Chester in 1541. It was formerly a perpetual curacy but has been styled a vicarage since 1868. The living was augmented in 1744 and 1765.
The church is dedicated to St Mary and dates to the twelfth century, with further alterations in the fourteenth and fifteenth. Its foundation has been attributed to Bertram de Bulmer of Sheriff Hutton Castle, although by 1160 the manor was in the hands of the Neville family. The church was extensively restored, and the south aisle added, in 1879. It is notable for its fifteenth century wooden tower.
Today the church is part of the parish and benefice of Easingwold with Raskelf.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Yorkshire Parish Register Society, 'The parish registers of Raskelf, 1747-1812.' Transcribed and edited by Hilary Isaac Robinson (Leeds, 1953).
Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 'The parish registers of Easingwold, Raskelf and Myton upon Swale, 1813-1837, with parish register transcripts for Raskelf, 1600-1746/7, and Myton upon Swale, 1598-1639/40.' Transcribed and edited by Norah M. Gurney (Leeds, 1983).