- 1669-2003 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.32 cubic metres
20 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
The present parish church of Riccall dates to the twelfth century, although it has been suggested this replaced a pre-Conquest Saxon building. It was appropriated to the Prebendary of Riccall, and a vicarage ordained there, in 1316. It remained subject to the prebendary’s peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth century when the advowson passed to the Archbishop of York. The living was augmented in the seventeenth century and in 1816 by parliamentary grant.
The church, which is dedicated to St Mary, was extended in the thirteenth century and repaired in the fifteenth. It was extensively restored between 1863 and 1877 by architect John Loughborough Pearson, at the expense of Lord Wenlock. The church yard was also extended during this period. The stained glass of the east window and the window on the north side of the chancel were added in 1875 by the firm J. W. Knowles of York.
The parish had a vicarage house from at least 1535. This had been replaced by 1849 and then moved in 1868 to the old prebendal manor house. A new vicarage was built in 1967.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Riccall, Barlby and Hemingbrough.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material