- 1655-2007 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.18 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Rufforth from at least the twelfth century. It was appropriated to St Leonard’s Hospital, York, until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century. The patronage subsequently passed into private hands and was held by the Thompson family in the 1830s.
The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, had fallen into disrepair by the nineteenth century and was entirely rebuilt in 1894-1895 by Demaine and Brierley of York, at the expense of the Middlewood family of Rufforth Hall. The new building incorporated two doorways from the original twelfth century church.
Today Rufforth is part of the parish of Marston Moor within the united benefice of North Ainsty.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material