- 1558-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.08 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Ryther was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It is believed to have formed part of the property of the de Lacy family after the Norman Conquest, but subsequently passed to the de Ryther, Aske and then Robinson families.
The parish church is dedicated to All Saints and is late Saxon or early Norman in origins. The nave dates to the thirteenth century and the south aisle and chancel to the fourteenth. The church was restored in 1773 and 1843, and then again in 1898 by architect George Hodgson Fowler.
Historically the parish included Lead and Ossendike. Lead separated from Ryther in 1912 to join the parish of Saxton. Another part of the parish was added to Cawood in 1963.
Today Ryther is part of the benefice of Cawood with Ryther and Wistow.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material