- 1593-2009 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.25 cubic metres
13 boxes and 4 rolls
Name of creator
There was a church at Sutton on Derwent from at least the twelfth century. It was first mentioned between 1161 and c.1170 when it was given to Whitby Abbey by Robert de Percy, although no vicarage was ordained. The advowson was alienated by the Abbey to John Mowbray in 1367 and thereafter remained in lay hands, descending with the lordship of the manor from the late sixteenth century. It was held by Viscount St Vincent in the 1970s.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, dates to the twelfth century. The church tower was built in the fourteenth century and rebuilt in the fifteenth. The church was repaired in 1841 and 1846 before an extensive restoration was carried out in 1926-1928 by Penty and Thompson of York, at which time the vestry was added. The churchyard was enlarged in 1922.
There was a parsonage house by the fifteenth century. It was rebuilt in 1726 and then again in 1854-1855 by architects John Bownas Atkinson and William Atkinson of York.
Today the parish is known as Sutton on Derwent with East Cottingwith, the latter having been transferred to the parish from Aughton. It is part of the benefice of Derwent Ings, which also includes Elvington, Thorganby and Wheldrake.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material