- 1524-2011 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.8 cubic metres
40 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
There was a church at Sheriff Hutton from at least the twelfth century. It was granted by Niel Fossard to St Mary’s Abbey, York, before his death in 1120 and the abbey retained it until the thirteenth century when the abbot quitclaimed it to Emma de Humez.
The advowson of the church subsequently descended with the manor of Sheriff Hutton until 1293 when it was granted to the Prior of Marton. It remained with the Priory until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown who gave it to the See of York as part of an exchange. From 1867 the patronage was shared between the Archbishop and the Lascelles family.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Helen and the Holy Cross, dates to the twelfth century. It was expanded in the thirteenth and fourteenth century and then again in the fifteenth when the north chapel and chancel were rebuilt and the vestry was added. The porch was built in the eighteenth century and in 1949 parts of the church interior were repaired by architect George Pace.
The parish historically included Cornbrough, Stittenham, West Lilling and Farlington. There were chapels at Cornbrough, Stittenham and Farlington from at least 1273, although the Stittenham and Cornbrough chapels are not mentioned after the sixteenth century. Farlington however remained a chapelry of Sheriff Hutton until c.1871 when it separated to form an independent parish. Its twelfth century parish church was previously the chapel of St Leonard.
Today Sheriff Hutton is part of the benefice of the Forest of Galtres, which also includes Farlington, Marton in the Forest, Stillington and Sutton on the Forest.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material