- 1671-1974 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.06 cubic metres
Name of creator
Sand Hutton was part of the parish of Bossall until 1861 and is situated in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire. It should not be confused with a second Sand Hutton, sometimes written as Sandhutton, which lies in the parish of Thirsk in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire.
The separation from Bossall to form the parish of Sand Hutton with Claxton took place on the 26th Jun 1861. The church of St Mary was built in 1840-1842 as a chapel of ease, replacing a twelfth century chapel dedicated to St Leonard (the ruins can still be seen in the grounds of St Mary’s). It was build at the expense of James Walker of Sand Hutton Hall, later 1st Baronet of Sand Hutton.
The advowson was held by the Dean and Chapter of Durham until the late nineteenth century, when it was transferred by them to Sir James Walker in 1891 and then by him to the Archbishop of York in 1938. The following year the benefices of Sand Hutton and Gate Helmsley with Upper Helmsley were united.
Today the parish, which still includes Claxton, is part of the benefice of Harton, which also includes Bossall, Buttercrambe, Crambe, Flaxton, Foston, Gate Helmsley, Howsham, Upper Helmsley and Whitwell on the Hill.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material