- 1846-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.05 cubic metres
Name of creator
South Milford was a chapelry within the parish of Sherburn in Elmet until 1859, when it separated to form an independent parish. The new church, which was dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, had been consecrated in 1846 by the Bishop of Ripon. The site was donated by University College, Oxford, and Benjamin Crosland of Milford House.
The church was designed by George Fowler Jones and built by Benjamin Bulmer of Thorp Arch. The pulpit was carved by Robert ‘Mouseman’ Thompson and given to the church in 1954 by the Crosland family. A new organ chamber and choir vestry was added in 1899.
A rectory was built in 1866 and then replaced in 1966. It was sold in 1985 when the parish merged with that of Monk Fryston. The new rectory is situated in Hillam.
Today the parish is part of the united benefice of Monk Fryston and South Milford.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material