- 1651-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
6 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
There was a church at Seaton Ross from at least the twelfth century, when it was confirmed to the canons of Warter Priory. At this time the village was known as Seaton, ‘Ross’ was not added until the following century when the land was acquired by the de Ros family.
The present church, which is dedicated to St Edmund, was rebuilt in brick in 1788, replacing a medieval structure. It was restored in 1908 by Temple Moore, retaining much of its eighteenth century furnishings. The east stained glass window is by York glass painter Harry Stammers.
The parish historically included Lincoln Flatt, Rytham Gate and Seaton Hall.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Holme and Seaton Ross Group, which also includes Bielby, Everingham, Harswell, and Holme on Spalding Moor.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material