- 1538-1972 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Sancton was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present church dates to the twelfth. The moiety of the rectory was divided into two until 1251, when it was consolidated into one by Walter Grey, Archbishop of York, and the patronage granted to the Priory of Watton. It was approrpiated to them, and a vicarage was ordained there, in 1310.
The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, has an unusual octagonal lantern tower which was added in the fifteenth century. The whole church was rebuilt between 1869 and 1871 by architects J. B. and W. Atkinson of York, although it retains its tower and other original features.
The living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1745, 1756, 1792 and 1830.
The parish historically included North Cliffe, Houghton and Hessleskew Grange, although North Cliffe formed its own parish in the late nineteenth century.
Today the church remains in use.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material