- 1538-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Saxton was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, when it was held by the Peytevin family. In the twelfth century the advowson was granted by Robert de Peytevin to St Leonard’s Hospital in York. The living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1737 and 1809.
The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, dates to the eleventh century with a fourteenth century south chapel and fifteenth century tower. It was restored in 1876 and 1907.
The parish historically included Barkston Ash, Cockbridge, Scarthingwell and Towton, the latter being the site of the Battle of Towton during the Wars of the Roses. Barkston Ash was transferred to Sherburn in Elmet parish in 1888 and in 1912 the township of Lead was transferred to Saxton from Ryther. Lead had its own church, dedicated to St Mary, although it was made redundant in May 1977.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Sherburn in Elmet with Saxton, which also includes Barkston Ash.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material