fonds PR/SCR - Parish records of Scrayingham

Identity area

Reference code

PR/SCR

Title

Parish records of Scrayingham

Date(s)

  • 1648-2009 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.058 cubic metres

4 boxes and 3 rolls

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1208-)

Administrative history

The church of St Peter and St Paul at Scrayingham dates to at least 1208, the date of the earliest known rector, Henry de Stuteville, although recent analysis has suggested that parts of the building may date from an eighth century Saxon foundation.

The patronage of the church was in the hands of the Lords Wake of Lyddel from an early date until the sixteenth century, when it returned to the Crown.

The church was repaired in 1811 and largely rebuilt in 1853 by George Townsend Andrews at the expense of Colonel Chomley of Howsham Hall. Colonel Chomley's wife, Hannah, later built Howsham Church in his memory.

Scrayingham church is notable for being the burial place of George Hudson, the ‘Railway King.’ A new rectory was built I 1704 and altered in the 1760s and 1846.

The parish historically included Howsham and Leppington. There was a chapel of ease at Leppington, although this was demolished in 1979, and another, dedicated to St John the Evangelist, at Howsham until 1977, when it was transferred to the parish of Bossall with Buttercrambe.

Today the parish, which still includes Leppington, is part of the Stamford Bridge Group of parishes, together with Stamford Bridge and Low Catton.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1966 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1972, 1980 and 2011.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1648-2009 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1778-1790); register of marriages, 1648-1977; register of burials, 1648-1946 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1778-1813); register of banns, 1823-2007; register of services, 1971-1993; records concerning benefice income, including tithe map for Howsham, 1839, and tithe award and map for Leppington, 1843; churchwardens’ records, including fabric papers, 1920-1970, churchyard deed, 1887, and Leppington chapel accounts, 1971-1975; records of incumbents, including notes of church affairs and incumbents, collected 1898-1901; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including church room insurance policies, 1952-1970; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including enclosure award and map, 1830.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2011.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1648-1877, marriages, 1648-1885, burials, 1648-1885, and banns, 1823-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 764, 1763).

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 02.03.16.
Revised by S. Kent, September 2016.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area