- 1867-1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.09 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of St James, Selby, was created from that of Selby Abbey on 20 December 1867. The church was designed by architects Newstead and Low of York and London and had been consecrated on 11 December by the Archbishop of York. There was a parsonage house by 1873. It was altered in 1890 and modernised in 1958.
The church was damaged in May 1944 when a Halifax bomber aircraft collided with the spire, killing the crew. The tower was rebuilt but the spire was not replaced.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material