- 1559-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.2 cubic metres
10 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
There was a church at Settrington from at least the twelfth century. The church originally comprised a vicarage and rectory but these were consolidated by Archbishop Walter de Gray in 1249. The manor and advowson was held by the Bigod family, Earls of Norfolk, until 1302 when Roger Bigod alienated both to Sir John Bigod of Stockton who founded a Settrington branch of the family. It descended with the family line until the sixteenth century. By the 1840s it had passed to the Earls of Bridgewater.
The present parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, dates to the late twelfth century, although the tower was built in the fifteenth. The chancel was rebuilt in 1867-1868 by architect John Loughborough Pearson and the interior includes the later work of Robert ‘Mouseman’ Thompson of Kilburn. In 1951 the south aisle chapel was restored by George Pace.
The parish includes the township of Scagglethorpe. Today Settrington with Scagglethorpe is part of the united parish and benefice of West Buckrose, which also includes Acklam, Birdsall, Burythorpe, Langton, Leavening, North Grimston and Westow.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material