- 1751-2003 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.13 cubic metres
Name of creator
Shipton by Beningbrough was part of the parish of Overton from an early date, although since 1962 the parish has been known as Shipton with Overton. The church, which is dedicated to Holy Evangelists, was built in 1848-1849 by architect George Townsend Andrews at the expense of the Dawney family of Beningbrough Hall. Prior to this date parishioners would have worshipped at Overton, where there is reference to a church from as early as the eleventh century.
A parsonage house was built on an adjoining site in 1849 and in 1892 an oak reredos and choir screen with decorative gates by Temple Moore were installed in the church.
Today the parish of Shipton with Overton is part of the benefice of Skelton with Shipton and Newton on Ouse.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material