- 1653-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Sherburn in Harfordlythe was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. In 1166 it was given to the Priory of Guisborough by Peter de Cordanville and the gift was confirmed by Henry II c.1176-1186. A vicarage was subsequently ordained there, though the date is not known.
The Priory held the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown. In the early seventeenth century it passed to the Strickland family, who still held the patronage in 1892. The living was augmented in 1780, 1795 and 1824.
The present parish church, which is dedicated to St Hilda, dates to the twelfth century. It was extensively restored in 1909-1912 by Charles Hodgson Fowler and Walter Brierley, the latter continuing the project after Fowler’s death.
Today Sherburn is part of the benefice of Buckrose Carrs, which also includes Rillington, Scampston, Thorpe Bassett, West Heslerton and Yedingham.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material