- 1640-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.36 cubic metres
24 boxes, 3 rolls and 1 oversize folder
Name of creator
There was already a church at Sherburn in Elmet by the time of the Norman Conquest. Reference was made to it in the Anglo-Saxon York Gospels and then again in Domesday. The rectory was appropriated to the Prebend of Fenton in the cathedral church of York, and a vicarage ordained there, in 1240. It remained subject to the Prebend’s peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth century. The manor of Sherburn is notable for having been the country seat of the Archbishops of York until the fourteenth century.
The original Anglo-Saxon church was replaced c.1100-1120 by a new Norman structure, parts of which still survive in the present parish church of All Saints. The church was expanded in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries and a clerestory was added in the sixteenth. It was restored in 1857 by Anthony Salvin. A church hall was built in 1987.
The parish historically included Barkston Ash, Lotherton, Lumby, Micklefield, Newthorpe and South Milford. There were chapels of ease at Lotherton and Micklefield and a district church at South Milford. The church at South Milford was consecrated in 1846 and separated from Sherburn in 1859 to form a separate parish which also included Lumby. This was followed by the separation of Micklefield in 1886 and Lotherton in 1908. The latter was joined to Aberford parish. An addition of parts of Saxton Parish to Sherburn in Elmet took place in 1888
Today the parish, which still includes part of Barkston Ash and Newthorpe, is part of the benefice of Sherburn in Elmet with Saxton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material