- 1675-1980 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.06 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of Shiptonthorpe was formed in June 1876. It comprised Shipton Chapelry, previously in the parish of Market Weighton, and Thorpe en le Street township, formerly in the parish of Nunburnholme. Like all of Market Weighton parish, Shipton had historically been subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebend of Weighton.
The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is situated in Shipton and is believed to date to the twelfth century. It was restored in 1883 by architect James Demaine of York to mark its new parochial status, with stained glass by Powell Bros of Leeds and J. W Knowles of York.
Since 2010 the parish has been part of the benefice of Londesborough Wold, which also includes Burnby, Hayton and Londesborough.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material