- 1538-2008 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
Name of creator
The present parish church of Skelton dates to the thirteenth century. It was completed before 1247, seemingly at the direction of Walter de Grey, Archbishop of York and using the same stone as was quarried for York Minster.
The parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Treasurership until this was surrendered to the Crown in 1547, but remained a peculiar within the Dissolved Treasurership until the nineteenth century. The advowson passed into lay hands, and was controlled by the Scudamore family from 1597.
By the nineteenth century the church, which is dedicated to St Giles, was in poor repair and the roof had become increasingly unsafe. It was restored in 1814-1818 by Henry Graham and again in 1883 by Ewan Christian – at which time the roof was replaced. A new organ was installed in 1864. There was a parsonage house by 1662. This was replaced in 1777.
A significant portion of Skelton historically lay within the parish of Overton. In January 1878 an exchange of land took place with that parish, giving Skelton parish its modern boundary.
Today Skelton is part of the benefice of Skelton with Shipton and Newton on Ouse. Its incumbents include Reverend Henry Stapleton, later Dean of Carlisle, 1988-1998.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
- Christian, Ewan, 1814-1895, architect (Subject)