- 1654-2011 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.33 cubic metres
21 boxes and 3 rolls
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Skipwith was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It was granted by William the Conqueror to the Bishop of Durham and then by him to the Priory of Durham in the 1120s. In 1280 it formed the endowment of the new Prebend of Skipwith within the Priory’s collegiate church at Howden, subject to the Priory’s peculiar jurisdiction. A vicarage was ordained there the same year.
At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century the Priory and its monastic community were dissolved and replaced by a Dean and Chapter. The parish of Skipwith consequently became subject the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Durham and the advowson of the church passed to the Archbishop of York and then to the Crown.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Helen, dates to before the Norman Conquest. The tower was begun in the eleventh century and added to in the fifteenth. The main body of the church was extended in the twelfth and sixteenth centuries, and the church was extensively restored in 1876-1877 by the architect John Loughborough Pearson. The oldest examples of stained glass in the church date to the fourteenth century. A new rectory house was built in 1865, funded by Queen Anne’s Bounty.
The parish also includes the township of North Duffield.
Today the parish is known as Skipwith and North Duffield and it is part of the benefice of Bubwith with Skipwith, which also includes Aughton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material