- 1660-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The present parish church of St Mary’s, Skirpenbeck, dates to the twelfth century. In c.1150-1160 it was given by Walter de Chancy and his son to the Abbey of Whitby, who held the church and patronage until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown. The church also had a chantry chapel dedicated to St Agatha.
The church tower was built in the eigtheenth century and the church was restored in 1893-1894 by architect Robert Keirle of London. A new rectory was built in 1841.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Garrowby Hill, which also includes Bishop Wilton, Bugthorpe, Full Sutton and Kirby Underdale.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material