- 1687-2012 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Slingsby from at least the mid-twelfth century when it was granted to the Abbey of Whitby by Robert Chambord and William Hai. The Abbey held the church until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown and was later granted by them to the Dukes of Newcastle and then to the Earls of Carlisle, owners of the Slingsby estate and lords of the manor.
The parish church, which was dedicated to All Saints, was extended, and a tower added, in the fifteenth century. Despite a complete rebuilding of the chancel in the early nineteenth century the church was in such a poor state by the 1860s that it was demolished completely and a new church was built on the site between 1867 and 1869, although it retained features and materials from the original building. The new church was designed by Robert James Johnson of Newcastle and built at the expense of Admiral Edward Howard, later Baron Lanerton, brother of the Earl of Carlisle. The roof was later replaced in 1965. It is notable for the tomb of Thomas Snowball, designed by Robert Thompson, the 'Mouseman of Kilburn.'
A church organ was added in 1870 and enlarged with a pedal organ in 1924. It was repaired and re-voiced in 1989. The church is affiliated to the Royal School of Choir Music.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Street Parishes, which also includes Amotherby, Appleton le Street. Barton le Street, Coneysthorpe, Hovingham, and Scackleton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material