- 1598-2002 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
12 boxes and 5 rolls
Name of creator
The earliest known reference to a church in Stillingfleet was in 1244, although the church building dates to the mid-twelfth century. In 1292 the vicarage was consolidated with the rectory. It was held by the Dean of York until 1818 when it was given to St Mary’s Hospital in Bootham, York, and a vicarage subsequently ordained.
St Mary’s held the church until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Dean and Chapter of York. The living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1734.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Helen, was extended in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuroes. The nave was reroofed in 1828 and in 1877 the church was extensively renovated by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler. The church is notable for its twelfth century south door with decorative metalwork.
There was a vicarage house by the 1530s. It was rebuilt at some point and then repaired and extended in 1770. The house was rebuilt again in 1950.
The parish historically included Kelfield and Moreby. Today the parish of Stillingfleet and Kelfield is part of the benefice of Escrick and Stillingfleet with Naburn.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material