- 1666-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
Name of creator
There has a been a church at Stillington since at least the twelfth century, although little, if anything, of the original structure survives. The church was appropriated to the Prebendary of Stillington in the Cathedral Church of York and a vicarage was ordained there in the 1520s. The parish remained subject to the prebend’s peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth century, when it passed to the Archbishop of York.
The present parish church, which is dedicated to St Nicholas, dates to the fifteenth century, although the nave and tower were largely rebuilt in 1840 by J. B. and W. Atkinson of York. It is notable for having had as its vicar Lawrence Sterne, the author of ‘Tristram Shandy,’ and for featuring work of woodcarver Robert ‘Mouseman’ Thompson.
Today Stillington is part of the Forest of Galtres benefice, which also includes Marton in the Forest, Sheriff Hutton, Sutton on the Forest, and York, St Leonard.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material