- 1566-2015 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.31 cubic metres
19 boxes, 1 roll and 1 oversize folder
Name of creator
The earliest parish church in Strensall is believed to have been built in the first half of the twelfth century. It was appropriated to the Prebend of Strensall in 1314 and remained subject to its peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth century. A vicarage was ordained there in 1314. The advowson was in the gift of the Prebendary until 1840 when it passed to the Archbishop of York.
The church appears to have been dedicated to St James until at least the fifteenth century and thereafter to St Mary the Virgin. The medieval building was demolished around 1800 and replaced by a new brick church in 1803-1804 and then by the present church in 1865-1866, designed by architects John Bownas Atkinson and William Atkinson of York. In 1919 a new stained glass window was installed by J. W. Knowles & Son and in 1926 repair work was carried out by Brierley and Rutherford. A new vestry was added in 1961 and the church was refloored in 1976. An oak screen at the rear of the nave, the lecturn, and the pulpit, were carved by Robert ‘Mouseman’ Thompson of Kilburn.
The parish historically included Earswick, Towthorpe and Haxby. Haxby was a chapelry from at least the fourteenth century, shared by the Prebends of Strensall and Driffield, although it was assigned to Strensall only by the sixteenth. In 1863 the chapelry of Haxby separated from Strensall to form its own parish.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material