- 1557-2005 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.22 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Sutton on the Forest was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. The patronage was held by the lords of the manor until the thirteenth century when Henry de Nevill granted the church to the Prior and Convent of Marton. It was appropriated to them in 1222 and a vicarage ordained there.
A new ordination was made by the Archbishop of York in 1372. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century the patronage passed to the Crown who subsequently granted it to the See of York.
The parish church, which is dedicated to All Hallows, dates to the thirteenth century but was largely rebuilt in 1877 when all but the fifteenth century tower and south wall of the nave was replaced. The architects were Messrs Atkinson of York. The church organ was installed in 1892 and was built by Forster and Andrews of Hull. There was a vicarage house present at the time of the dissolution of Marton Priory. The present vicarage was built in 1958.
The parish includes the township of Huby, which was the site of a chapel until the sixteenth century when it appears to have fallen into disuse. The parish is also notable for having had as its vicar Lawrence Sterne, the author of ‘Tristram Shandy,’ between 1738 and 1760.
Today Sutton on the Forest is part of the benefice of the Forest of Galtres, which also includes Marton in the Forest, Sheriff Hutton, Stillington and York, St Leonard.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material